Why should I get involved?
- Interaction with a professional in a related field can provide an opportunity to reflect on career-related progress and plans
- Students can seek feedback on CV, career plans and job opportunities
- We hope to promote a safe forum for asking questions, sharing concerns and developing networking skills
- You will have the opportunity to discuss options for future research or job placement with an expert in your field (who is not your research advisor!)
- Mentorship offers the potential for a long-term relationship where knowledge, insight and perspective can be shared
The mentorship established between two individuals is unique to their needs, personality, learning styles, expectations, and experiences. The relationship depends on good rapport between the individuals and may take time to fully develop.
Specifically, we hope the mentee will:
- Initiate contact with the assigned mentor via email. Include your CV and your hopes for the mentorship program.
- Meet the mentor at the Student Mixer
- Be prepared to share and discuss educational, career or research objectives
- Allow the mentor to introduce you to his/her colleagues with similar interests
- Invite the mentor to attend your poster or podium presentation of the mentee and seek his/her feedback